Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Slow Cooked Onions. And Eateries.

Yes yes I am horribly, horribly slack and did you know it has been over one whole month since I updated this? And its not as if I stopped eating, god forbid, or even taking photos of every morsel of food I shove down my gob. I just got the laze. I do weep at my sloth.

So..this is going to be just a quick run down of a few things I have baked, consumed, dined..so on!

Portobello Mushroom Burger with Slow Cooked Red Onions (and other stuffs)





This was a little something I prepared (about 10 days in a row, due to the delicious) for lunch, dinner...snack...not breakfast though. There's not really a recipe as such. The only essentials are some mushrooms, a red onion and some burger/sandwich/tortilla trimmings.

What to do with the mushroom: You can either slice it up or keep it whole, douse in a nice swig of balsamic vinegar and a tad of olive or sesame oil, nice sprinkle of pepper and salt, and whatever herbs strike your like. I like thyme, dill...so forth.

Now you place this all in a baking tray and in the oven goes. I dont really know much about temperature, so medium is fine. Bake/roast for about 15-20 minutes.

Now the onions. You can use red, or white, but I like red best. You chop it into rings, heat a bit of olive oil in a fry pan and this is the part that is amazing. You slow cook them for a half hour. This is quite annoying to watch over in order to not burn onions and/or your house, but do it and you wont be sorry. At the 28 minute point, you have to douse the onions also in a splash of balsamic in order to encourage the process of caramelisation.


Maybe you should start the onions first, they take longer.


Anyway. Assemble using nice burger bun, bread like something. Lettuce, baby spinach, tomato, mustard, no tomato sauce I hate it, Israeli pickle (the best) and whatever you gots.


The inspiration for this recipe came from http://herestheveg.blogspot.com/ which is brilliant!


Updates as the evening progresses....and one more picture just because.


2 comments:

Cindy said...

Thanks for the link and the compliment. :-D I hate raw onions and raw mushrooms but this is just something else entirely, isn't it? I like your idea of adding pickles too.

Anonymous said...

Great to see you back :) I love your posts. Those onions look amazing!