Saturday, March 28, 2009

a burger, some fancy stuff, sydney and then i'm done!

...at least until i am able to stimulate the economy by buying a camera. with my $900. when i get it. *taps foot impatiently*.

so, this is the remainder of the backlog that's been floating around various technological devices of mine for the last couple months. enjoy! and thanks eternally for the motivating feedback on the last post, extremely blushworthy making to know i had been so missed!

The Organic Food and Wine Deli (TOFWD)

Whilst working normal people (daytime) hours during my holidays (working? holidays? blergh), i became somewhat enamoured slash unsuitably obsessed with a certain burger from TOFWD (yes, i actually say it like it looks).

This is him.


Photobucket

Gorgeous, no?

That would be the tofu burger. Wholesome, sesame seed studded bun, lettuce, shredded carrot and beetroot (and i normally abhor beetroot, so we know we're onto a good thing here) and a somewhat spicy tofu patty. I wish i could remember what it tasted of a little better, but it's been sometime since we parted ways (and I resumed working hours more akin to the lazy student call centre worker I am). So let's just go with....delicious. TOFWD (say it!!) also do a really swell mushroom and tofu pie, and i am quite the fan of their sugar free/wheat free bran flour muffins. Also a cute boy works there. I'll stop now.

TOFWD
28 Degraves St
Melbourne

Shakahari

I'll tell ya something. Usually I only go to Shakahari if someone else is paying. It's kinda expensive (for my budget). But my buddy Alicia only has one birthday a year, and if she wants to go to Shakahari, and if i perhaps have to dig behind the couch for spare change to make that happen, well, that's exactly what will happen! I mean, I even drank a glass of wine! Big, huge, massive spender.

Anyway, enough about my thrilling finances and more about the food!

Whilst i cant seem to find any pictures of the eggplant avocado rolls, you can be deadset positive that we ate the hell out of them. A visit to Shakahari is well incomplete without these battered coins of delicious glory swimming in their emerald green sea of...delicious glory.

However, my brain worked just a little better when it came to our mains and i took some shitty photographs for you, observe.

Photobucket

That above? That was my choice. If I could remember it's most whimsical names (it's a Shakahari thing, whimsy is.) I'd tell you it, but i dont, so i wont. Basically a mushroomy risotto framed by bok choy, mushrooms and a pickled style red capsicum. And I wince as I write this, but it was kinda a little tiny bit, maybe just a smidgen boring. And bland. From the menu description, it sounded like it would cause serious mouth explosions, but - no. Not bad, but not amazing. No explosions.

Photobucket

Alicia went with a curry platter that contained a selection of different curries and a grain. Pleasant.


Photobucket

The croquettes were delicious! Crispy and crunchy and full of flavour. Sarah had this. Meal envy rising.


Photobucket

MEAL ENVY PEAKING PEAKING PEAKING! The spaghetti (though a fancier word for spaghetti was used, I do believe) is out of this world amazing. Some variety of lemon myrtle pesto, greens and slow cooked tomato topped with soy cheese just about blew my mind. Jacquie getting full early on was possibly the number one standout moment of my life so far, because it meant that I got to finish this amazing thing. Yes!

And then Sarah and I, in our (mainly mine) never ending gluttony, got dessert.

Photobucket

The creme brulee style thing. I used to get the hots for this thing like whoa back in my early vegan days, then they took it off the menu, enragedness ensued, they put it back on, and now I kinda didn't think it was anything too amazing. Unsure if the recipe has changed or if my tastebuds just demand more from life, but it was only average. Comfortingly blobbly (wobbly vs blobby), pleasant caramel sauce, not displeasing pistachios. It was good, but not mind blowing, like it used to be. Oh well.

Shakahari

201-203 Faraday St

Carlton

Guess what? I tricked you about Sydney. I've got these pictures of these glorious pancakes that I ate there, but they haven't made it off my phone yet. They will. Patience my pretties, patience.






8 comments:

Léna, said...

*causes a fuss and dropps food on herself*

LIDIAAAAAAAAAAAA.

come visit us again.

lisa said...

Anecdote: I was in TOFWD asking if the muffins were vegan and the guy said, 'everything in here is vegan'. I said, 'is that quiche vegan?', mentally changing my order to the quiche. The guy said, 'ummmmm, no. And neither are those tuna rolls.' FAIL!

holly fluxx said...

yuuuuuuuum!!!!!!!!
wanna eat everything!!!
x x x x

Miss T said...

Lisa - ahahaha! I have to say that I've always found the service at TOFWD pretty poor - unsmiling, unfriendly - but I do love that seedy pattie.

Roll said...

Hrmm its nice to read your blog again, I haven't for ages! Its 9:49am and now I'm sooo starving (thanks! :P ), I need the food in all those pictures!!! mmmm.. I think I'm gonna have to have an early morning tea now.. haha.

steph said...

I love TOFWD! Looooove.

and I am saddened about that mushroom risotto, though now I really want one...

x said...

You came to Sydders! Next time, we should have a pot luck/blogger meet up :)

Brittany Day said...

I enjoyed rreading your post